The success of a brand, product or company significantly depends on the type of content it puts out. This makes it important to always and consistently put out contents that would be useful to your audience. However, crafting quality content can sometimes feel overwhelming, especially when you what exactly you should include.
This is why you need to develop a content strategy. This is essential for the growth and survival of content marketing. This piece would focus on the various ways of crafting content strategy, and also the tips for crafting useful content.
What Should Your Content Strategy Look Like?
As earlier mentioned, there is a need to have a content strategy. A good content strategy would help you in crafting useful content. Some of these strategies include the following:
- Goals and definitions: Your content strategy must center around what you’re trying to achieve. The first thing to do is to identify what exactly you’re trying to do and ensure everyone on your team buys into it.
Some of the questions you might want to ask yourself when doing this are as follows:
- What exactly are you trying to achieve?
- Why are you creating the content?
- How would you know that your content is on track to achieve your goals?
- Which goals should be prioritized?
- How would we define vital elements?
No progress can be made until you have this foundation articulated and agreed upon.
- Measurement methodology: It’s important to have a way of measuring your success, test, tweak and also readjust your approach. Knowing your success metrics is crucial. Below is a quick guide that can help you align your key performance index at each stage of the funnel.
- Reach: This is about how far your content has traveled. Some of the things to consider include impressions, views, publication pickup, social content metrics, and organic traffics.
- Perception: Things to consider include brand surveys and social sentiment.
- Consideration: Some of the things to consider include engagement which covers traffic, time on site, lead generation rate, leads that are yet to be qualified and so on.
- Decision making: This covers the conversion of leads and qualified leads.
- Satisfaction and advocacy: This cover how satisfied the customer is after they’ve used your product or service. Things to consider include product usage, customer review scores, product registrations, account renewals, product return rate and so on.
3. Journey mapping: Content programs can sometimes get complicated, and this is why it’s important to map out the customer journey as granularly as possible. You can start from a whiteboard, so you would have ample space, then move to a digital program, so you include it in your strategy.
4. Audience insights: It’s important always to feel the pulse of your audience, especially when you want to implement a new idea. Your ideas have to resonate with them. However, before you can do this, you would have to ask some important questions. Some of them include the following:
- Who are you trying to reach?
- Why are you trying to reach them?
- Where are they located?
- How can you reach them?
These types of questions would help you know your audience more, and exactly how to engage them.
Tips On How To Create Amazing Content
- Map your content to clear goals: It’s crucial to map your content to clear goals. Your content piece has to advance your content marketing goals; else, it won’t be worth the effort invested in creating, publishing and distributing. As an illustration, if your one of your content goals is to rank at least 5 pieces of content in the top 10 of Google in the coming year. This means that you would need to write targeted SEO content around good keywords.
- Focus on SEO cornerstone content: Cornerstone content is the most important content pieces you will create. Putting in effort and resources in making high-quality pieces would take you far towards your goals, and return on investment. However, there are some tips you can follow to creating cornerstone content:
- You have to get the most strategic growth out of your cornerstone content. You can do this by writing each piece around a strong keyword, that could potentially drive loads of traffic to a website from Google.
- In a situation where you run multiple blogs that touch on different angles of a topic, you should choose the best one to become your cornerstone. You should ensure the post in quality, and in-depth, then link the post to all related posts. This directs Google to the one that is more important.
- Create content that lends itself to cornerstone status: This has to do with ultimate guides, topic overviews with explanations, and comprehensive how-to-posts.
- You can recycle one strong content piece in various ways:
One of the ways of putting out amazing content is by recycling the strong content you’ve created before and developed more useful pieces from that one post. By doing this, you’d be capitalizing on the work you already put into that content piece, giving it increased usefulness beyond the original blog format. As an illustration, you could do the following:
- Create quote cards: You could pull some crucial quotes from your blog, and make design quote cards from them in Canva. This adds a little twist to your work and makes it more interesting. You may break up the text, and then offer them bundled together as a SlideShare file or PowerPoint presentation. Canva is free, all you need to do is create an account, and search for “presentation” to find pre-designed templates you can make use of.
- Create a PDF file: Creating a PDF file is one of the ways of repurposing your useful content. Your readers can easily download the PDF version of your blog, and save to read them for later, even without access to the internet. There are lots of programs available for the creation of PDF files; some include Microsoft Word, Google docs and so on.
Forsey, C. (2019). The Ultimate Round-Up of Content Marketing Tips. Retrieved from https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/content-marketing-tips